Government House is the oldest European building in the Northern Territory, and is the office and official residence of the Administrator of the Northern Territory. Built between 1870 and 1871, with later renovations between 1878 and 1879, the building is set on 13,000 square metres of hillside gardens in the centre of the Darwin business district, on The Esplanade.
The Government House is an example of a mid-Victorian Gothic villa, which has been adapted for the local climate by the addition of numerous shaded verandahs and porches. It has endured cyclones, earthquakes, enemy bombing raids, infestations of white ants and rowdy public demonstrations to remain one of the most spectacular and attractive buildings in Darwin.
Government House is listed on the Register of the National Estate and was declared a Place of Heritage under the Heritage Conservation Act (Northern Territory).