The Tasman Fountain (1988) is the work of local sculptor Stephen Walker. It is situated in Salamanca Place between Gladstone Street and Montpelier Retreat.
A rough-hewn plinth of white rock showing the Southern Cross in bronze is partially surrounded by a white concrete fountain with three bronze ships sailing in it. On the other side stands a full size bronze figure of Abel Janszoon Tasman (1603 - 1659).
Tasmania was named after Abel Tasman, a Dutch seafarer, explorer, and merchant, best known for his voyages of 1642 and 1644 in the service of the Dutch East India Company (VOC), who was the first known European explorer to reach the islands of Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania) and New Zealand.