The Rockhampton Customs House is a heritage-listed customs house built in 1899 by Caskie and Thompson. Built of Stanwell sandstone the building has a huge copper dome and a semi-circular portico with a Corinthian colonnade. Rockhampton Customs House is an example of the Classic Revival period architecture which was popular in Rockhampton around the turn of the century.
It was the third Customs House in Rockhampton, one of a group of Customs Houses built in Queensland at the turn of the century. The Rockhampton Customs House was added to the Queensland Heritage Register in 2005.
On the Customs House site is the Customs House, facing Quay Street and to the rear of this a two storeyed former bond store and in the north eastern corner a one storeyed former stables building which has a more recent addition along the north eastern property line. The former stables and the Customs House are contemporary.
The Rockhampton Customs House was a powerful reminder of the importance that Rockhampton enjoyed as the major central coast port around that time.
208 Quay Street, Rockhampton